Because we celebrate the diversity and individuality of our students and faculty, we would like to make it a more common practice to learn and pronounce people’s names. This document contains instructions for creating a name pronunciation guide and then linking that guide to your Canvas/CI Learn profile. That way, anyone (faculty or peers) who clicks on your profile will be able to hear and learn how to pronounce your name.
In this document
- How to create a Name Pronunciation Guide in Adobe Spark
- How to link your Name Pronunciation Guide to your CI Learn/Canvas profile
How to create a name pronunciation guide
Start a New Project in Adobe Spark
1. Go to https://spark.adobe.com/ and click Log in in the upper-right corner.
2. Log into your premium Adobe Spark account with your CSUCI enterprise ID.
3. Click the “plus” icon to start a new project.
4. Click the Start from scratch button in the upper-right corner, and then click Video.
5. Give your video a title (e.g., My Name) and then click Next.
6. Click Start from scratch in the bottom center.
If necessary, you can view the tutorial, or you can click Okay, I’m ready! to continue.
Personalize the Font/Color
1. You can change the color and font style by clicking Theme and selecting a theme that resonates with you.
2. Click the “plus” icon in the center to add text to this project.
3. Type the phonetic spelling of your name (e.g., LOR-nah). To spell your name phonetically, break the parts of your names into syllables, capitalizing the letter sounds that one might emphasize when pronouncing your name. Include all letter sounds that might help a person say your name, even if those same sounds are not present in the actual spelling of your name. For example, my name is spelled, Lorna, but the OR sound is emphasized. To spell my name phonetically, I might spell LOR-nah, adding an ‘h’ to the end to clarify how the end of my name should sound.
Record Your Name
- Click and hold the microphone icon with your mouse and wait about one second, then begin speaking.
- Consider saying your name slowly as well as how you would say it normally. You can also follow this script: “My name is _[normal speed name pronunciation, e.g., Lorna]. [Slow pronunciation, e.g., LOR-nah]. [Normal speed again, e.g., Lorna]._
- Release the microphone icon a second or two after you have completed your recording. You can press the play button to hear your recording, or you can repeat step 13 to re-record your name pronunciation.
Think Twice About Background Audio
By default, Adobe Spark Videos have a music feature turned on, meaning that your video will automatically include some friendly background music. You may wish to turn this off entirely or lower the volume so that people can hear the clear pronunciation of your name. You also have the option to change the tune that accompanies your video, if you like.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the Music tab on the Navigation bar.
- Click the button to turn music off, use the slider to lower the playback volume, or scroll through the track titles to select a different option.
Now, your Name Pronunciation Spark Video is complete and available for you to link to your CI Learn/Canvas profile.
Copy the web link to your name pronunciation guide video
1. While still in Adobe Spark with your project open, locate the horizontal menu bar at the top of the window.
2. Click Share and then click Publish. This will open a new window.
3. Give your project a title (e.g., My Name; How to say my name) and adjust the additional settings.
4. Click Create link.
5. After a moment, the window will refresh with a web link and options to embed your video on various platforms. Click Copy to copy the link.
6. Now, you need to log in to CI Learn/Canvas and update your profile with the link to your video.
How to edit your CI Learn/Canvas profile to include your name pronunciation guide
- Go to myci.csuci.edu and log in with your Dolphin name and password.
- Click CI Learn to enter Canvas.
- In the red, vertical, left-hand navigation menu, click on your profile picture or Account.
- Click Profile.
- Click the three vertical dots on the right-hand side of your screen to expand your menu options.
- Click Edit profile.
- Scroll down to the Links section of your profile page.
- Give your link a title (e.g., How to say my name; How to pronounce my name).
- In the URL field, paste the link to your Adobe Spark video. Note: You can edit your profile in other ways before you save, as well. For example, you can add a brief bio or description of your interests; you can upload a profile picture or avatar; you can include preferred pronouns in the open text field.
- Click Save Profile.
Once you have completed these steps, people will be able to click on your profile and access your video to learn how to pronounce your name.
Here is an example of a Name Pronunciation Guide.