This article will support your use of VoiceThread as a student at CSUCI and show you how to create and submit a VoiceThread.
Prefer to Watch?
Use the links below to view video tutorials in Youtube:
- Create and Submit a VoiceThread ‘Create’ Assignment in Canvas
- How to record a Voice or Video Comment to a VoiceThread
- Add Your own Video using VoiceThread’s Webcam Video Option
- Add images from VoiceThread Media Sources
Create a Slide Presentation
If you’ve been asked to create a presentation in VoiceThread, you first need to create your slides. Keep in mind, you can continue to add and delete slides once you’ve created your initial VoiceThread. Below are suggestions for slide creation tools and how to prepare any slides you create for uploading into VoiceThread.
Suggested Presentation Tools
- Visme (it’s fun, free, and easy!)
- Click here for tips to create a presentation in Visme
- Visme presentation slides are formatted in 16:9/widescreen.
- When you’re done, you will click Dowload, select “Image (JPG),” and the image file will download to your computer
- NOTE: Do not use the animation or transition feature in Visme for this assignment. These will not work in VoiceThread.
- Google Slides (you will download each individual slide as a JPEG image format when you are done)
- Click on File
- Click on ‘Download as’
- Click on JPEG Image
- Powerpoint (you will share/export the file to an image file format when you are done)
- Keynote (you will share/export the file to an image file format when you are done)
- Your image file must be formatted in Widescreen format (also referred to as 16:9 aspect ratio).
- Please check the dimensions of your slide in the tool you choose to use. If you use Powerpoint or Keynote, be aware that the default slide dimensions are usually “Standard (4:3).” Please change the dimensions to Widescreen (16:9) in the formatting area.
Starting a New VoiceThread Presentation
- Login to CILearn
- Access your Course from your CI Learn Dashboard
- Locate the Assignment where you need to create the VoiceThread.
- On the assignment page you should see an assignment option titled ‘Create a VoiceThread’
- Click on the option to ‘Create a New VoiceThread’
- To begin adding your slides, click on the plus sign (+) next to Add Media
- A Menu will open
- From the Menu select ‘My Computer’
- Locate your downloaded slides from Step 1
- Click Open or Upload to add them to VoiceThread
Saving your VoiceThread
- You will automatically be prompted to Title your VoiceThread. Add a title (this can be edited later if needed)
- Adding a description and tags is optional
- Click Save
- While your slides are processing you will see a spinning cog wheel
- It may take a few minutes for all of your slides to upload
- Once your slide has loaded, you will see a thumbnail image of our slide in the editing window
Recording your Comments
- Click on the Comment Icon (speech bubble) at the top of the VoiceThread Page
- Your VoiceThread will open to widescreen and you will see your first slide
- Click on the plus sign at the bottom center of the VoiceThread Window and select either the microphone or video camera icon to record your voice or video comment.
- When you are satisfied with your recording, click Save. Click Cancel to re-record.
- Use the arrows in the lower right of the screen to navigate to your next slide
- Repeat this process until you have recorded all of your comments
- You can delete any saved comment by mousing over the recorded comment that appears to the left of the VoiceThread window and clicking on the trashcan icon.
- You can record your comments as many times as needed
Record a Video: VoiceThread’s Webcam Video
Instead of adding a video comment to a slide, you can record a video that will appear where you would typically see a slide. To do this:
- Click on the large plus sign to open the Add Media Menu
- From the menu, select Webcam Video
- A recording frame will appear and you will see a countdown to the time your recording will begin
- Use your computer camera and microphone to make your recording. Typically your built in computer or device webcam will work just fine. To ensure clear audio, it is a good idea to wear earbuds with a built in microphone.
- Tips for Recording:
- Make a short (10 second) test recording to check your audio is working properly
- Make sure your background is quiet and free from distracting noises and visuals.
- Make a script/outline of what you want to say
- Keep your comments brief and to the point (typically 2 minutes maximum unless otherwise directed by your instructor)
- The timer in the lower left corner will show the length of your recording
- When you are finished recording, click Stop Recording
- You have the option to Cancel, Save, or Record More
- If this is the first entry in a New VoiceThread, you will be prompted to Title the VoiceThread.
- Once you click Save your recording will appear as the last thumbnail in your VoiceThread Editing Dashboard. You can rearrange the order of your content by dragging and dropping each thumbnail into the desired order.
- If you have more content to add (slides or videos) click on the large plus sign (+) and select the type of media you wish to add.
- To submit your VoiceThread, see the step below.
Submitting your VoiceThread Assignment
- After you are finished recording, you can submit your assignment.
- Click on the Hamburger Menu (three stacked horizontal lines) in the upper left hand corner
- A Menu will appear
- Click on Edit
- This will take you back to the editing view
- From the Editing View you will see a blue Submit Assignment in the upper right corner of the VoiceThread window
- Click Submit Assignment
- Your VoiceThread will appear with a blue Submit Assignment button in the lower right corner
- IMPORTANT!!! Under the blue submit button, check the box next to ‘and share with class’
- Then click Submit Assignment
- You will see a confirmation screen that says Assignment Submitted